Chamber’s 2014 Legislative Policy Platform
International trade represents a major economic engine for both local and regional economies. Recognizing the importance of the continued development of international trade, the Chamber supports policies that promote the expansion of free and fair trade whenever possible. Strengthening ties and increasing economic opportunities in the world’s largest marketplaces is vital to maintaining the state’s competitiveness in the global business community.
The Chamber Supports:
- Fair and equitable market access for California products abroad.
- Communicating public policy positions to the state and federal government on international issues of importance to the Riverside business community.
- Legislation that broadens and strengthens relationships and opportunities, while reducing barriers to trade and investment.
- Foreign trade zone programs as a vehicle to maintain global competitiveness.
- Maximizing Riverside’s resources to promote and enhance trade and commerce between Riverside and the global marketplace as well as to attract international business to Riverside.
- Informing the Riverside community, including legislators and businesses, about the benefit of trade to the state’s local economy.
- The allocation of funding for new customs inspectors dedicated to serving the needs of the Inland Empire.
- The expansion and development of March Air Reserve Base for the purpose of international commerce.
- A balance of international trade and infrastructure.
- The formation of a customs district for Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
The Chamber Opposes:
- Disincentives that impede the international competitiveness of California and Riverside businesses.
- Legislation that leads to higher prices, limited choices for consumers and potential job loss in the Inland Empire.
- State and local legislation that imposes sanctions on businesses engaged in international trade and/or conflicts with federal international policies.
JOIN THE CHAMBER
MEMBER DISCOUNT PROGRAM