Chamber’s 2014 Legislative Policy Platform
Immigration issues have a significant impact on California’s economy that affect all facets of our commerce and our economy. Immigrants have always and continue to be an essential part of our state and national workforce. The lack of an effective and comprehensive national policy regarding immigration has resulted in a multitude of challenges for businesses. To ensure California’s future prosperity, the Chamber encourages reform to the national immigration policy that includes an earned pathway to legal status by establishing a guest worker program, improvements to the visa program, steps to secure our national borders, and stricter enforcement of existing laws.
The Chamber Supports:
- Establishing a guest worker program that takes into consideration the needs of specific industries and determining time limits for certain workers.
- Providing greater border security through shared responsibility with neighboring countries.
- The provision of adequate resources to establish an earned pathway to legal status and detain and/or deport undocumented/illegal immigrants.
- A shared verification system that interfaces with state, and national databases and appropriate agencies.
- Penalties on employers and individuals who knowingly hire undocumented/illegal immigrants.
- Improving the efficiency of the visa program based on professional service requirements and market demand while ensuring the protection of opportunities for U.S. workers.
- E-Verify, a voluntary electronic system to assist employers in verifying the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
JOIN THE CHAMBER
MEMBER DISCOUNT PROGRAM